The composting worm bin lives in the upstairs bathroom adjacent to my office/studio room. So when things get weird in the bin, I know about it.
I think that I picked up earwig eggs when I added compost from the outdoor compost bin – I always do this to help stock up the micro-flora. However it happened, I started getting more and more earwigs.
The pincers look fierce, but aren’t actually pinchy from what I can tell. They stink a lot if squashed.
There are lots of them. They thrive on the same kind of vegetable waste that I feed the worms, and they’ve reproduced like mad. Of course, my options for insect remediation in the compost worm bin are quite limited.
Traps are usually the best. I looked up how to trap these guys, and most of the sources pointed to a similar technique. A straight-sided can, like soup or tuna, with a mixture of equal parts of molasses (or corn syrup), vegetable oil (with the possibility of a drop of added bacon grease, for fragrance attraction) and soy sauce. Because of what I got hold of in the cabinet first, I’ve tried a couple of different oils. It’s amazingly effective.
This is five or six days worth of earwigs. They mostly end up in the trap overnight, as they are nocturnal. I let it go a few days, then tip the oil out in a non-agricultural part of the yard (the chickens declare the bugs delicious!) and refill and reset. Apparently it works in the garden or house as well.